Dan Maff talks about the advice given to him by wrestling legends Terry Funk and Dusty Rhodes, his memories from wrestling on ROH’s debut show, what Jeff Cobb is really like, and more.
1. What’s the best advice you’ve been given about the wrestling business and who gave it to you?
“Be more stubborn than any roadblock or obstacle that gets in the way of your progress.” -- Terry Funk. “Pressure is a privilege.” -- Dusty Rhodes.
2. What’s something popular that you don’t see the appeal of?
Remote controls, pause buttons and slow-motion wrestling used in a wrestling match. The whole crotch-grabbing thing.
3. What’s on your bucket list?
Japan, Mexico, Canada. Winning the ROH World Tag Titles for a third time. Becoming ROH World Champion.
4. Do you have any hidden talents?
I absolutely love to dance salsa.
5. Do you have a guilty pleasure?
I love to eat. Playing Madden and MLB on my PS4. Proving people wrong that wrote me off.
6. Who are your favorite musical artists?
Frankie Ruiz, Guns N’ Roses, Led Zeppelin, and Shakira (laughs)
7. What’s been the highlight of your career to this point?
The ROH locker room demanding I get a job with ROH after Unauthorized in Ohio during the post-show meeting.
8. You were on the very first ROH show in 2002. What are your memories from that show and what were your thoughts on this new promotion at the time?
That first show was definitely something to never be forgotten. We were already told that this was going to be a roster that only included the best of the best from everywhere. If you were here, you were special. If you were here, you were included as one of the best of the best.
No one wanted to have a poor performance. Everyone wanted to do their part and knock it out of the park. It was literally an us versus the rest of the wrestling world mentality. As a new company, the entire roster wanted to be the alternative choice, the alternative product -- hard-hitting and with a code of honor.
9. What are your tag partner Jeff Cobb’s best and worst qualities?
Cobb doesn't have bad qualities. He is a very funny guy. He loves to sing. Even though it's very funny at times, he can really sing. He likes to eat, too, like me, and I like that. He let me put him onto sour octopus gummies. Cobb has a heart of gold and he is probably one of the strongest humans I have ever been around as well.
10. Any final words for the ROH fans?
Maff and Cobb will dominate the ROH Tag Team division. I will be ROH World Champion!