Ring of Honor hit NYC for the final time in 2012 on Sunday 12/16 to present "Final Battle 2012: Doomsday" and it was indeed just that as chaos reigned, one man bid ROH farewell, another truly announced his arrival at the expense of a champion, and new tag team champions were crowned. Here's a look at the complete results:
1) Grudge Match: Roderick Strong defeated "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin after Roderick cracked Elgin in the skull with the Book of Truth & delivered a huge backbreaker; Following the match Martini attempted to endear himself to Strong but the former World Champion reiterated that he quit the HoT. Martini then tried the same on Elgin who goes to power bomb him but stops when Truth begs to be heard. Martini took credit for every bit of success both Strong & Elgin had, slapped Elgin, and found himself on the receiving of a Buckle Bomb & Spinning Backfist
2) Jay Lethal pinned Rhino; Prior to the match Steve Corino joined the commentary team and following the match confronted Lethal regarding his statement that he would fight Steen that night. Jimmy Jacobs hit the ring to assault Lethal and ultimately led to Rhino goring Lethal out of his boots as he was restrained by S.C.U.M
3) RD Evans w/ QT Marshall beat Prince Nana; Ernesto Osiris attempted to get involved to help Nana but Marshall dispensed of him and after the match Tommaso Ciampa came out of the crowd to get at Evans & Marshall but they escaped
4) NYC Street Fight: WGTT (Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin) beat Rhett Titus & BJ Whitmer after Haas delivered a scary belly-to-belly suplex to Whitmer thru a table; This crazy fight saw a Christmas tree, plastic candy canes, kendo sticks, tables, and chairs come into play
5) "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett w/ Maria & Brutal Bob pinned Jerry Lynn in his final ROH match; The end of this match came about as a direct result of Maria's interference which left Lynn open for a Box Office Smash from Bennett.
- Following the match, Nigel McGuinness & the locker room came out to honor Lynn and present him with a trophy to recognize his accomplishments in professional wrestling. Before Nigel could leave the ring though, he was confronted by Jay Lethal who demanded to be included in the World Title match due to his "Survival of the Fittest 2012" victory. Nigel said he won’t do that and suggested Lethal go backstage to watch the show. McGuinness then stated that if Generico wins, Lethal would be first in line for a title shot. Lethal told Nigel to make the match for him tonight or he would take it himself. He also said he’s sick of ROH doing nothing about Steen spitting on his mother, how they are spitting on him, and thus he spat on Nigel. Nigel backed Lethal into the corner before security and referees broke them up. Nigel then told security to remove Lethal from of the building
- "No Fear" Mike Mondo, on crutches, came down to the ring with Kevin Kelly to address his injury status. Mondo tossed away the crutches and said he doesn’t need them anymore because he will be back in just four weeks! He is then cut off by Kyle O’Reilly and Bobby Fish who said they heard there will be no Wolves reunion tonight and told Mondo he should tag with Davey Richards. While Mondo was focused on Fish, O’Reilly swept his bad leg out from underneath him and then the duo assaulted Mondo until Davey hit the ring. The numbers was too much though as Fish & O'Reilly put Davey down too until Eddie Edwards hits the ring. Kyle & Bobby held up Davey for Eddie to hit but he delivered a superkick to Fish leading into...
6) Tag Team Grudge Match: The American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards) beat Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish when Todd Sinclair stopped the match as Edwards had O'Reilly in the Achilles Lock & was stomping on his head
7) Non-Title Match: Matt Hardy defeated World TV Champion Adam Cole after Hardy blinded the referee by pulling his shirt over his head & low-blowing Cole
8) Sudden Death World Tag Title Match: Jay & Mark Briscoe beat S.C.U.M (Steve Corino & Jimmy Jacobs) and Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander to become the 35th and 8-Time Tag Champions; In a match where the champions had to be pinned for a team to win the belts, the end came after the Briscoes hit Jimmy Jacobs with a Doomsday Device
9) World Title Match/Ladder War IV: Kevin Steen defeated El Generico to retain following a Package Piledriver through TWO ladders; This was a brutal affair that saw tables, ladders, and the bodies of both men destroyed. It must be seen to believe the carnage...
Although S.C.U.M may have lost the World Tag Titles thanks to The Brisoces, with Kevin Steen still in possession of the World Title it is anyone's guess what 2013 will bring to Ring of Honor. We return to the road on January 5th for our 1st TV Taping of the year in Baltimore and tickets for that can be purchased right here. In the meantime, if you haven't seen it yet, get the replay of "Final Battle 2012: Doomsday" right here and see the chaos for yourself...